Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day


Growing up in a military town and having family with military backgrounds, I have always appreciated our blessed nation.  I am trying to instill in my children the same love for God and Country.

I realize that America isn't perfect.  Now that I am older I have a firm grip on the reality that "government" doesn't always have our best interests in mind, nor do they always do the right thing.  However, no matter what, we are blessed to live in the absolute best nation on the earth.  I would gladly debate that point with anyone.

Independence Day (not the 4th of July as it has come to be called lately) is on my top 3 list of favorite holidays after Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I love it!  I love it not only for the wonderful cookouts and fireworks, but I really love that we are able to celebrate another year of freedom and independence.  So many in our nation have absolutely no appreciation or understanding of just how precious our independence and freedom are.  

Yes, America has made some serious mistakes and yes, America will make more I am certain.  But where else in the world would you rather have been born and raised? Where else can you be born with no Father, move around with your Mother, get sent to be raised by your Grandparents, attend Harvard and eventually be a candidate for President?  

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't matter what color or nationality you are in America, the opportunities for success are there for everyone.  The evidence is all around us.  It requires hard work and the motivation to get there.  Nothing is perfect and some people's experiences have been more difficult than others, but the opportunities are there for the taking nonetheless.  Let's not forget that it is out of our hard work and determination that our true character is able to shine through.

The following clip disturbed me deeply.   The clip is from the Denver Mayor's State of the City address the other day.  Denver is going to be the host of the upcoming Democratic National Convention where Barack Obama will be crowned the official candidate.  

Keep in mind that this woman was asked to sing the National Anthem at an official city address.  Instead she sang her "interpretation" which was a song deemed the black national anthem sung to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner. There was a day in America where this would have been so offensive that the woman would have never even considered doing it, and nobody would have stood by and listened.   They would have booed, yelled, or walked out.  Not now.  Now, we just stand there and listen. Some people actually clapped at the end.  I would venture to say that this woman will be made out to be some sort of hero in some circles.  Pathetic.  

This Independence Day I hope that all Americans, regardless of race, original nationality, or religion, will face those beautiful stars and stripes and sing the National Anthem LOUDLY, with hand on heart, and truly reflect upon how blessed we are to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.  

No comments:


May I help you?

Super Man and I at Jamestown Island
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Schnauzers!

Schnauzers!
Our 2 Giant Schnauzers and our Mini Schnauzer (Smokie) hanging out in my office. Notice Smokie rules over the big ones.