Sunday, September 5, 2010

Peace and Quiet

This week I took the children (won't be able to say that much longer as they are now 15, 13 and 11!) to their first art class of the school year. The class is held at the new Virginia Museum of Fine Arts once a month and lasts an hour and a half.

Of course I had an ulterior motive for signing them up for this class. 1) It's good for them and gives them regular exposure to the amazing world of art. 2) It's good for me because I have an hour and a half to wander around this beautiful art museum and actually admire each and every work of art!

It is such a gift to be able to walk around in a very quiet environment (with cell phone turned off) and really take in the pieces of art on display. I so enjoy reading about each artist and learning about where they are from and what they may have been inspired by. The best part is I can linger and absorb as much as I'd like.

Our culture has changed so much in the last decade. Can you remember the last time you did not have some type of media or communication device distracting you? I can attest that it is absolutely THERAPEUTIC to leave the iphone, radio, tv and internet behind to quietly enjoy beauty for a little while. Give it a try and I'm sure you'll agree.

No comments:


May I help you?

Super Man and I at Jamestown Island
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Schnauzers!

Schnauzers!
Our 2 Giant Schnauzers and our Mini Schnauzer (Smokie) hanging out in my office. Notice Smokie rules over the big ones.